Any jazz aficionado knows that the NY scene is diverse and exciting and if you’re one of them, you’ll want to attend the upcoming Newport Jazz Festival. If you’re visiting Connecticut, you’ll easily reach Newport. However, if you need to get from LaGuardia directly to the Newport Jazz Festival, we’re the ones to call.
Afterward, we can also provide you with a premier car service CT to LGA for maximum convenience. But first, let’s present the Newport Jazz Festival and all its charms.
Where is Newport Jazz Festival?
As the very name says, the Newport Jazz Festival is organized in Newport, Rhode Island. More specifically, it’s held at Fort Adams State Park, a historic site of the Fort Adams fortification. So, you can only imagine the authentic vibe this festival brings to the table, along with its scenic harbor views and many engaging amenities.
The Newport Jazz Festival used to be known as the JVC Jazz Festival from 1984 to 2008 when JVC stopped financially supporting the festival. It boasts four music stages, beer and wine gardens, display events, food stalls, crafts stations, and more.
When did the Newport Jazz Festival Start?
The first Newport Jazz Festival was held on July 17 and July 18, 1954. This 65-year-long festival has a strong tradition, so it’s no wonder that many jazz musicians and fans are truly delighted with its performances.
This year, the Newport Jazz Festival will be held on August 2 and last until August 4, 2019. This festival is typically organized every summer after the Newport Folk Festival, which will be held from July 26 to July 28. So, don’t miss an opportunity to attend one of the shows that include jazz, rock and pop concerts.
Who Started the Newport Jazz Festival?
This iconic festival was established by Elaine Lorillard with her husband Louis Lorillard and George Wein. Elaine was a piano player who attended the New England Conservatory of Music. In Italy, she met her husband with whom she shared her love for jazz music.
In 1953, Elaine and Louis met George Wein, a jazz producer, promoter, and the most important “non-player” figure in jazz history. Together, they came up with the idea of bringing a jazz concert outside, which turned into the Newport Jazz Festival, the most popular one in the U.S.
What’s the 2019 Newport Jazz Festival Lineup?
The lineup for this year’s Newport Jazz Festival is still not fully revealed to the public. However, more than a few names have already been announced. Some of the performers who belong to the first round lineup include:
- Cecile McLorin Salvant
- Corinne Bailey Rae
- Dafnis Prieto Big Band
- David Virelles and Ravi Coltrane
- Herbie Hancock
- Marcus Strickland Twi-Life
- Sons of Kemet
- Spanish Harlem Orchestra
- The Bad Plus
- Tia Fuller
How to Get to the Newport Jazz Festival?
Getting to the Newport Jazz Festival can be a bit tricky, especially if you need to keep up with your flight schedule or you’re not located in the area. However, you have several transportation options:
- Bicycle: This is a convenient option if you’re staying in Newport. You can rent a bike, explore the city and avoid traffic jams. However, if you’re located outside the city, you might find cycling to the festival a bit tiring.
- Water shuttle: If you want to reach Fort Adams by water, you can opt for Newport Harbor Shuttle, Jamestown Newport Ferry or SeaStreak. You can find additional information on water shuttles, but keep in mind that there might be some service interruptions in case of unfavorable weather conditions.
- Car: Traveling by car is definitely the best option, especially if you’re located outside Newport. From Boston, you’ll need 1.5 hours to reach Newport while New York City is 3.5 hours away. This solution becomes even more convenient if you book a car service because you won’t have to think about driving if you consume alcohol or getting around the city.
Get to the Newport Jazz Festival Effortlessly with us
If you’re planning to go to the Newport Jazz Festival, but your flying from LaGuardia Airport, staying in Connecticut might be your best option. Don’t you worry, transportation won’t be a problem because you have us to rely on.
Our drivers know the entire area and can provide you with premium CT to LGA car service while also making sure you get to enjoy yourself at the Newport Jazz Festival. We are familiar with all the relevant Passenger Authority guidelines and can ensure your safety.
What’s more, we’ve already covered the Memorial Day Parade attendance, as well as Pride Week performances and Belmont Stakes racing events, so feel free to rely on us to take you to one of the greatest jazz festivals. Book with us today!